Hi all,

On Wednesday, 2 March 2011, Casper Bang <casper.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It certainly can only be healthy to see how things are done
> "elsewhere", out of your normal comfort zone. The world is not black
> and white, which means that there will always be *something* to learn
> from another culture - not entirely dissimilar to actual real world
> traveling! So I interpret "Learn a new language every year" as more of
> a guard moniker against growing too conservative and succumb to
> inbreeding. As Steve McConnell says, "program into a language, not in
> it".

That's a good quote :)

> I suspect the reason why you raise the topic could be because the JVM
> ecosystem is (or has been anyway) known to be fairly self-righteous
> and if you are confined to, and contend within this bubble, surely it
> makes more sense to invest your time studying frameworks and umbrella
> technologies. That's fair reasoning given that the vast majority of us
> spend much more time battling API's than we do contemplating how a
> given language construct works.
>
> However I would argue that this is mostly a consequence of Java's
> staleness, which leads to lackluster peripheral API's which can not
> inter-operate between one another, and where tooling goes from being a
> thin veneer to a thick layer of magic paint. So I say, absolutely keep
> an eye on how other languages does stuff. How to minimize branching
> (Scala case classes...), avoid null (null coalescing, non-
> nullability...), avoid casts (generics, inference...) etc. etc.

I think this has opened up considerably.  I'm happily using closures
in Groovy, core domain logic in Java and Starting to blend in some
Clojure for concurrency.  I think the JVM is becoming a fantastic
platform to use the right language/paradigm for the right job.  We are
definitely starting to see project teams utilising multiple JVM
languages in London.

I can only see this improving as InvokeDymamic, MethodHandles etc come
into the JVM.  It will be interesting to see if projects will start to
_commonly_ use Java + appropriate language X together...

So yes, Java the language will stay fairly static, but the choices on
the JVM are boundless?!

> In the perfect world we'd have a succinct language that's completely
> pluggable and versionable, and it would be increasingly hard to
> differentiate API from language - nor would you have to.

Perhaps with Jigsaw coming in we might actually be able to think about
tackling this?  For example, A colleague of mine (Ben Evans) was
recently pondering having a versioned Thread class, which you could
then deprecate 'forcing' developers to use something a little more
modern than the Java 1.4 concept of a thread :)

 Think about
> it, since when has "Java" the language carried any concrete skill
> credibility on a CV? Not since the mid 90's I think.

I pretty mich agree (Spring/Hibernate!) but I'm actually seeing it
become important again. Concurrency in particular due to multi core
processors.  Could be a London UK focus though (lots of big banks
etc).

Cheers,
Martijn (@karianna, @java7developer)