I never said dont learn anything other than java - im just saying languages
are not everything, and one cant chase and look at every language simply
because that time eats out from other things you could explore that may have
a more practical use in your software travels. Everyone has the ir own
opiniion in this area, but why the focus only on languages and nothing about
frameworks and libraries, the stuff you need to build big shiny things. I
personally believe that languages, platforms only become popular when theres
a lot of activity that delivers products.

You can have the best shiniest language, but if there are no libraries on
it, then no one will care about it because its just to hard to get started
if one wants to build something big and grand - thats just life. Libraries
and frameworks keep a platform alive for development, fuzzy shiny bits
inbuilt to the language only get things started.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Casper Bang <casper.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 4:44 am, Miroslav Pokorny <miroslav.poko...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Whats the point of learning lots and lots of languages when there are
> > zillions(exaggeration but lots) of different techniques, libraries and
> > technologies to learn, to help you today with what you are working on
> today
> > and in the future.
>
> Because as the software we work on grows in size and complexity, it
> would be nice with a language that grows to work with us rather than
> against us. The layer of abstraction since raw assembly code continues
> to go up, presently revolving around the subject of concurrency. Some
> of the stuff in C# 5.0 is really mind-blowing in what it brings to the
> table, without requiring a new programming model or exposing
> developers to nitty-gritty detail.
>
> > One could continue to learn more and more languages for no particular
> reason
> > except for the learning experience. Sure you will see and become aware of
> > different ideas and approaches but after a while all that has happened is
> > time has passed and those interesting things learned are useless for your
> > practical work experience.
>
> So what you are really saying here, is that you assume that in 5-10-20
> years you are still doing Java? Depressing.
>
> > I could learn French, I could learn German I could learn some language
> that
> > 5 people in Papua know but whats the point - we live in a world dominated
> by
> > English. Computer languages are no different.
>
> The point is to not always expect people to conform to you and limit
> yourself that way, for no other reason than "practicality". I speak
> French, German, English and Danish. This allows me to quickly draw
> parallels and infer subtleties, as there are often no 1:1 mapping
> between two language terms or expressions. This is much that same in
> programming languages where you may need to express yourself a certain
> way, sometimes you need a pattern, other times you are offered a first
> class language construct - but if you know only one language you rob
> yourself of the chance to these "other dimensions". This comes back to
> Steve McConnell quote, "Program *into* a language, not in it".
>
> /Casper

mP