On 23 March 2011 14:32, Josh Berry <tae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Reinier Zwitserloot <reini...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Yes, you're right, I should have mentioned market push. It's rather
> likely
> > (to me, anyway) that java gained quite a bit of traction due to Sun's
> > cheerleading of it, along with the uptake by i.e. IBM relatively early
> on.
>
> This been my belief for a while.  I, of course, have nothing to back
> this up.  :)
>
> > Google adopts or makes a new programming language to replace java for
> > android development to avoid some lawsuits, and via that route we'll get
> > java.next. Huh. Cool theory.
>
> I simply meant more that I feel like Android is pulling in more new
> "java" developers than any other technology out there at the moment.
> For a long time, web development seemed to be the big pull to any
> technology.  Now, it appears that "app" development is the big pull
> and that appears dominated by obj-c and java for Android.  If someone
> were to release a compelling dev kit for Android that had a different
> language, I would imagine it would gain traction rather quickly.

c'mon people, please at least *try* and make it hard for me!

https://github.com/jberkel/android-plugin

Okay, so SBT doesn't exactly meet the definition of "dev kit", but it does
work rather nicely to create IntelliJ projects that can happily make use of
the IDE's Android plugin. :)

Kevin Wright

gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com
<kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com>mail: kevin.wri...@scalatechnology.com
vibe / skype: kev.lee.wright
quora: http://www.quora.com/Kevin-Wright
twitter: @thecoda

"My point today is that, if we wish to count lines of code, we should not
regard them as "lines produced" but as "lines spent": the current
conventional wisdom is so foolish as to book that count on the wrong side of
the ledger" ~ Dijkstra