Tech News Today covered this on Friday and I was yelling rude words at
the car radio, if only because the situation is being badly
misrepresented. The Register took the same line.

As others have said here, Google have a history of holding back on the
source code until after hardware has been released (Froyo is the one
that springs most quickly to mind).

The sad fact is that Honeycomb isn't finished. Yet. I'd far rather
Google hold back if it knows it is going to improve the code base.
Keeping Honeycomb closed source indefinitely though? I don't see that
happening - there are plenty of deep integration apps where developers
will need to eyeball OS code when porting to Honeycomb, quite aside of
any other side issues. I don't believe it is Google's intent to keep
the code out of the public domain.

Does this favour the 'preferred' suppliers. Well yes, but not to the
point that others will be closed out of competing in the long run. And
hopefully what we get is a better version of the OS that requires
little or no code change to skin, because Google really does need to
tackle the fragmentation/lack of upgrade issue.