Hi everyone

I am delighted (oo - came over all Steve Jobs there - delightful!).
Anyway, I am delighted to announce that you can now sign up for the
Scala summer programming camp. The link for registration, waiver and a
whole bunch of information is:

https://sites.google.com/site/programmingsummercamp/

Thanks to Bruce Eckel for putting this together.

Right now Scala is the only "formal" camp taking place during this
week, however there are more slots if people want to self organize -
say a Flex camp, or a Clojure camp, or a Groovy camp (the last one has
to have lots of crystals and new-age music :-) ).

A couple of other points about this.

First, it's going to be wicked fun - mountain biking, hiking and other
outdoors stuff in the mornings, hardcore geekery through the
afternoons and evenings, and no set format other than that (hell, even
that is not set, code all the time if you like).

Second, it's cheap, at least the conference is. $200 for the week,
since we have no idea of the numbers we will get for this first one,
if we only get a few, attendees may be asked to chip in a few more $$
to cover costs, but I think this is unlikely and even if it does
happen, it will be tens of dollars at the most. More likely is that we
have have a surplus, and we are going to spend that conscientiously -
the camp itself is non-profit and will cover costs, nothing more. I
favor giving any surplus to charity, but rest assured something
sensible will be done.

It is possible to do the whole thing on quite a tight budget. A few
hints: flights into Denver and driving from there seem to be a lot
cheaper than flights into Gunisson (for example, I can get a round
trip for under $300 with one of the budget airlines, share a rental
car and you are golden). Also I think Bruce mentioned that staying at
the mountain resort is inexpensive in the summer if you can't find a
shared house (shared houses are fun though, so if you can go that
route, do).

Third, this is not an official posse event! It may be that I am the
only one there from the posse, although Carl mentioned an interest at
one point.

With all that said, I think this is going to be tons of fun and if we
get enough interest we will likely do it again next year.

Information and sign up is at:

https://sites.google.com/site/programmingsummercamp/

Thanks, and I hope to see some of you there :-)