On 06/13/2011 02:40 AM, Ricky Clarkson wrote:
While if I look at my situation
I'd say that I won't find a single customer to whom I could sell my
hypothetical skills in Scala
To be fair, as a consultant you're probably generally working with
people who are slightly behind the curve.  I bet Java 5 and earlier
come up for you too.
Declaring Java 5 EOL has been extraordinary effective :-) At least for the customers I've dealt with in the past year (of course, your point has a general validity) everybody I work with is aligned to Java 6. This also has to do with the fact that - thanks God - I'm still able to pick my customers at least partially. I can partition my customer in two classes, according to a certain perspective: the short-term and long-term ones. The former class is made of up to one-two weeks of consultancy and then bye-bye (typically a course or a mentoring). The latter class is made by customers with whom I've a continuous relationship - including the "main customer", a single one that I change after a few years. Currently I'm working with him since three years. Here my involvement is deeper and related to the products/services under development. Once every a few months we make some exercise to "inject" into the development new technologies and practices that we think can be useful. Most are proposed by me, some by the customer himself. Some are ways to drop legacy and most aren't beyond "slightly behind the curve", as Ricky said, others could even be more to the edge - our decisions. Can't go into details, but there's at least one "leading edge" technology involved in a prototype. In all of this world, changing language is not an option, desired or feasible.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."