On Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:03:01 PM UTC+2, kirk wrote:

> This is just a hunch, but, perhaps FOSS projects are more popular than
> normal because of the patent system. It's much more difficult to sue the
> _creator_ of a FOSS project for patent infringement; some bigcorp might join
> in, and the last thing a troll wants is to be challenged in court as that
> might render their patent permanently unenforceable. There's virtually no
> money to be had. It's even worse for PR than usual, etc, etc. As a creator
> of a project, the reduction in risk when you FOSS your library vs. charging
> a moderate price for it is possibly convincing some programmers to go the
> FOSS route vs. trying to sell it if patent risk wasn't a concern.
>

> these guys do not care about PR. Trolling is a source of funding. troll
> Omni will require for 50,000,000,000 in patent fees to satisfy their funders
> demands for ROI.

Of course they care about PR. Enough public badmouthing of a specific case
and people show up funding the defendant, prior art is searched for by more
people, a lawyer might offer their services pro bono. A big company might
take the opportunity to earn some geek cred and take up defense. Sure, they
wouldn't give a flying one if their name is spoken with derision around the
tech sphere, but there are other costs to being a well known jackass. Quiet,
fast settlement. That's perfection for a patent troll. Anything else is
suboptimal for them.

None of this invalidates my point. It's _much_ easier to just abandon the IP
if you have no support contracts and not even implied merchantability
because your library was a FOSS project and you never sold anybody anything.

Does FOSS projects mean the current patent system is okay? Of course not.
That's not what I was trying to say though: I'm suggesting that perhaps we
see more FOSS projects that normal because of patents. That's I guess a very
small positive amongst a sea of negative consequences, and certainly not a
good reason to keep it around or to avoid reform.