On 09/03/2011 05:22 PM, opinali wrote:
up to the point that Sanskrit poets had the advantage of being allowed to rearrange the words of a sentence in any order they wanted because it would never change the meaning, as the role of each word and the relationships between words in a sentence are always clear from inflection.
I don't know Sanskrit to make a quantitative comparison, but in Latin too you can rearrange in any order - _usually_ without changing meaning, but in some cases opening the door to some ambiguity. A classic school example was:

"Ibis redibis non morieris in bello"

which was traditionally the Sibyl's response to a soldier's query before going to a war. Unfortunately, the sentence can be translated both "You shall go and come back, you shall not die in war" or "You shall go and not come back, you shall die in war". This is pretty simple, of course, and more interesting examples could be made in longer sentences.

As the other cited neo-latin languages, Italian has got a lot of inflection too. I understand that it can be quite a mess to learn, but the positive side is that lots of inflection give more freedom to poets. Italian, French, Spanish, etc... greatest poets wouldn't be the same if they wrote in a language with less inflection. At least pronunciation is simpler, since every letter is always pronounced in the same way, with very few simple exceptions.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."