I have rarely worked somewhere where enough folks on the team had overlap in
more than the core skill set.  Ancillary tools are always handy, but they end
up being just that.  They are mostly esoteric and limited in understanding to
the one person that created them.  This is a great pity, but it just seems like
that's the way it goes.

For every little script and subsystem in another language, it's yet another
build or script that has to be understood in order to use it for the rest of a
team, and ultimately they either never get used or simply just slow the team
down. This seems to go double the more 'brilliant' the polyglot is.  They'll
create this amazing script, and it's so amazing that only a high skill
programmer in whatever specific language could figure out how it works.
Somehow this is a badge of honor to some, but it seems like it should be a
badge of shame when you create things no-one else can work with.

Also, the fewer the languages, the easier it becomes to be expert at them.

Alex