Hi,

I'm not sure if this is common in other industries but at any one time
we have people developing software commercially:

1. Writing COBOL against mainframes setup in the 70/80's.
2. Writing and maintaining EJB 2.x apps.
3. Various versions of the JVM
4. The latest JVM languages

My point is a new way of working becomes possible in 2006. It may not
actually reach the average development workshop (if at all) for many,
many years.

My last project used Java 5, JSPs and MySQL. A bit long in the tooth
you could argue (and I did!).

My new project is the more cutting edge - Java 6(!), MongoDB and the
JVM layer - Java is ok but Groovy is preferred (we use Grails).

I am really impressed by Groovy. It really allows you to take your
time migrating to its syntax, reducing the initial load and
complexity. Ruby and Scala feel like to big a jump.

I think polyglot programming will only get bigger and more popular,
especially as the tooling (IDEs and cross compilers) become better.

Rakesh