> At the time I was referring I think we (Sun and Magneti Marelli)
> introduced I think what was the first middleware for delivering telemetry
> data in pure Java. Then came the rules about the single provider for
> electronics and Mc Laren (if I recall correctly) started providing its own
>
> systems to everybody. Is there any public information about current use of
>
> Java (e.g. McLaren you referred) in F1? I'm not a F1 follower, but I'd
> like to know how things have evolved. You know, in these years at
> discussions about Java performance I'm extensively using the reference to
> that project to shut up the casual "Java is slow" guy... :-) but I'd like
> to have something more recent to cite.

I am just curious; how do people get the live telemetry into Java in the
first place?! The RS-232 and USB support is third party and sucks
butterballs. Which is why, when I wanted to extract live consumption from
my electricity-, heat- and water meters, I went straight to .NET (the Mono
impl) and its System.IO.Ports namespace.