You don't read books.  You just buy them and put them on the shelf and wait
five years.  After five years, you either go "I am glad I didn't waste my
time on that DCOM stuff!" or "They are still talking about it, it must be
something useful.  Let me read it."

How you read a book depends on how you learn things.  Different people
learn things differently.  So what works for one won't necessarily work for
others.  Even the same person will absorb differently in different stages
of life.  So what worked for you when you were a teenager or in your
twenties won't necessarily work for you when you are in your fifties.

Pay attention is the most important tip I can give to anyone.  When you are
young and the subject is interesting, this is very easy.  When you are
older and have other things to distract you, it's often the case that you
seem to be reading a book but you are really not, your eyes merely glance
over the words and as soon as you a done reading a sentence, paragraph, its
content is forgotten.

Taking notes, highlight the topic sentences, read out aloud, tear off a
page from a book when you're done reading it, etc., are all ways to force
yourself to pay attention to the content.  These are trained behavior.  For
example, I was trained to take notes, not to high light on the book when I
was young.  Therefore none of my books have any highlighter marks, they are
all like new. :)

Another thing that I'm trying to learn now is to "catch" myself when my
mind wanders away from the book.  Ultimately, what you read needs to become
part of your memory.  And there is a science about how to effectively
achieve that goal.

Several years ago, "Your Brain: The Missing Manual" was recommended by one
of the Posses (I think Dick).  It has some tips on how to improve your
memory.

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqi...@gmail.com