On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Joe Attardi <jatta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What are some ways you effectively absorb knowledge from reading
> programming books? For language or feature specific stuff, obviously
> working on a project with it is the best way to learn. But what about more
> general things - stuff like *Effective Java* or *Head First Design
> Patterns*?
>
> Do you take notes while you read? Skim and reread for detail? Any good
> tips to offer?

The biggest thing for me is to /never/ just download and read the
pre-written code from the author's site, if at all possible. I type in
every example from the book and ensure that it works as the author says it
should. Only if I have a problem that I can't get past will I pull down the
code and compare it to what I wrote. Doing this really helps me remember
what I've read. I also take notes, but they usually end up as comments in
the code.

As for highlighting, I've never been one to highlight or write in paper
books. I also don't like to break the spines. The last several programming
books I've read have been via Kindle, and I like the fact that highlights,
bookmarks and notes are sync'ed across devices. I wish I could get that
same syncing across devices for PDFs that I import into iBooks and/or the
Kindle app, but nobody supports that yet.

Joey

--
Blog: http://joeygibson.com
Twitter: @joeygibson <http://twitter.com/joeygibson>