On Monday, June 18, 2012 11:54:46 PM UTC+2, fabrizio.giudici wrote:

> It's split in two steps because you can first verify whether there are the
>
> prerequisites for the release to be successful. But we can also say that
> you can run release:prepare release:perform in the same run, so what we
> are talking of? When I need to make a release, I just press a single
> button on my Hudson.

That's a decent explanation, except that it's not called "verify" but
"prepare" and it pollutes /trunk when fails (POM has been modified and temp
files created) requiring manual cleanup. In software API design, we learn
about orthogonality and procedural cohesion, which would be nice if it
applied to our tools as well. If we had release:verify (that did not screw
with /trunk) and release:perform to do the actual release, things would
make more sense. Maven is awesome but it has scared many a developer due to
these usability things.