I use maven in general, and SBT when on Scala-only projects.  I see ant as
legacy, and things that make ant prettier as lipstick on a pig.

Specifically, ant builds generally are harder to read and less likely to
work in my experience than maven and SBT builds.  I'm aware that you can
use Ant with Ivy and do things in a better way than we did 10 years ago,
but still when I come across a build.xml in my work I'm more likely to have
upcoming problems than when I come across a pom.xml.  I'd even rather see a
build.sh than a build.xml

Maven is frustrating on fresh machines, we probably have all seen it
'download the Internet' even to do mvn clean.  But it's quick enough after
that, and as long as you stick to its idea of one artifact per module it
goes pretty smoothly.  It also seems to give a lot more information to the
IDE, meaning some/all IDE config can be skipped on a new project and people
don't feel tempted to pollute version control with .project, .classpath,
.settings, .idea, etc.

SBT's complexity hasn't bitten me yet, but I'm ready for it.  Despite what
Dick said on the podcast it's not only Dick who doesn't like it.  Its fast
Scala compilation is being (has been?) ported to maven.

As a side note, I wonder what programming styles lead to slow Scala
compilation time.  I'd imagine a lot of use of implicit conversions would
cause that.  I'd hope that implicit parameters don't, that sounds more like
an O(1) lookup.