I don't know Vaadin, but I would argue that this issue concerns the
official GWT development stack - which does indeed rely on the development
mode and thus, a browser plugin. I am curious though, how can you hook into
components and do your own (the nice thing about GWT is that one can use OO
for reusability and extensionability), without having to compile these?