Yes, shipping an application with JSF included generally works fine.  We
have a number of deployments on different Tomcat versions, and test a lot
on Jetty too.

It does get problematic when you're trying to ship the same war to clients
using different containers, where some are full EE and some only servlet
spec.  You will find you can't easily configure some of the full EE
containers to do child first or isolated classloading so you get version
incompatibilities when they also provide JSF.

I'd echo Matthew's comments on JSF and Richfaces in general, we consider it
legacy and won't be using it for anything new.

regards

Brian