On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:51:20 +0100, Joseph Ottinger <j...@enigmastation.com> wrote:

Plus, the idea of the government being a de facto shareholder sounds like
some of the nastier governmental systems from the last hundred years.

I think that Kevin was thinking of a sort of "partial" shareholding, that is that 5% would only entitle to have a fraction of dividends, but not decision making.

In any case, Kevin, are you sure it would work? When I was member of a real corporate (*), more than ten years ago, there was a taxation on dividends bigger than 35%. Part of the usual tax avoidance practices was to minimize dividends. Ok, this was for small/medium corporates without stocks; I understand that it's a very different scenario.

(*) I'm referring to a corporate were there were more than one owner, employees, etc... My current Tidalwave is a real corporation from the point of the view of the law, but it's just me (no other owners, no employees). It's a stupid thing that I was forced to do as a "wrapper" around my freelance activities, since in my stupid country there are stupid laws about employment that prevent me from having long-running contracts (longer than a few months) with the same customer.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."