I have to confess that this is one area where Amazon's offering has really
taken me by surprise.  The Freetime app on their Kindle Fire HD line is
quite impressive.  Has a monthly cost, but considering the amount of apps
that the kids have already gotten access to, I suspect it will be a while
before that cost worries me.

I don't know of any similar offering on other platforms, at the moment.
And my kids are all rather harsh laptops (which is currently all we have,
I'm looking at a raspberry pi board), so this is the only computing access
they get at the moment.

There is a good segment in the current Make magazine that has some
suggestions on software to get folks started tinkering.  In fact, it looks
like the entire kids & family section of their site is worth a look on this
category (Though, does look higher on the craft side, but I'm not sure that
is a negative).  http://blog.makezine.com/category/home/kids-family/