Technical people are typically not very good at business.  They always
want to fix some hard problem or create some wonderful thing, and then
magically "word-of-mouth" will make everyone come buy their stuff.
Somehow they think that business is not an area of expertise, that
requires study and learning.

If you want to make money at software, I suggest that you go learn
from the small subset of technical people that actually do it.

A great place to start is the podcast "startupsfortherestofus".  They
focus on the start small - stay small strategy that works for them.
This strategy has smaller potential gains, but has a much higher
chance of success, as opposed to the "startups" that you hear about in
the news, that have terrific potential, and almost no chance
(statistically) of making it.  There are lots of other great sources
if you look around.

Save yourself a lot of lost time and resources by learning first, then doing.

I suggest that you start with some of the episodes that deal with
getting started, including building a mailing list to test your idea
and market (before you build anything).

I have already made many of the mistakes that they can help you avoid.
 I wish I had had access to this info 10 years ago.

Best wishes

James