FYI this is a pretty technical book.

I think that it takes a few days for a Java programmer to be reasonably
fluent in Javascript, the really interesting stuff is not so much the
language minutia but becoming familiar with the ecosystem (very similar to
Java in that respect). My suggestions:

   - Skip the books for now. Read a few tutorials on the language (the most
   confusing thing is learning what "new" means in Javascript, but even that
   is really not a requirement to become proficient).
   - Learn to use the the debugger and the REPL in either Chrome or
   Firefox. Breakpoint, inspection, etc... it's really as powerful as Eclipse
   or IDEA.
   - Learn a DOM framework (I recommend jQuery).
   - Learn an MVC framework (I recommend Angular).
   - Learn a few utility libraries (e.g. underscore.js).
   - Build an end-to-end application that communicates with a Java back end
   over JSON (this will familiarize you with Ajax) and which will bring all
   these technologies together.

After this, you will know a lot more than a lot of Javascript developers,
and maybe then you can consider digging into a book if you want to go
deeper.

--
Cédric

--