If what we write first is "the simplist thing that might work", then I'd suggest comments should explain code that is not apparently the "the simplist thing that might work". or "comments should explain why the simplistic thing that might have worked, didn't"

And on  regular expressions - the minimum comment should include at least one example of the "line" being matched against. It makes a huge improvement to the grokkability of a regex if you can see an example of what is being searched.

Bruce