I use Talking Checkbook and I think it's an excellent program for the
features it offers. However, I personally think there's a couple of
drawbacks to it and they are:

1)  The expense of special printer check forms is ridiculous -- I paid about
$75.00 for 250 checks from the recommended vendor.  Maybe it's possible to
buy a special check printer (for regular bank-size checks), but I didn't
look into it.  If this is so, somebody let me (and the list) know.

2)  The program has no provision to allow you to fill in selected
information and then print the check.  Maybe you can leave the Payee, date
and memo fields empty (haven't tried that yet); but you must fill in the
check amount before printing the check.  It would be nice - given the market
population - if the payee, date and other information could be printed to
the check without a payment amount, leaving that information blank.  This
way you could print up a check for a specific merchant, sign it and send
someone to do the shopping.

3)  The program claims to be able to support record keeping for various
types of accounts.  But if you track a savings or credit card account with
TCB you find yourself having to skip past the check number and a few other
nonsensical fields given the type of account.

All-in-all, I would recommend this program to anybody that wants to track
their financial accounts with to-the-cent accuracy and have the ability and
independence to handle their own finances conveniently.  But having been a
software engineer for almost 20 years, I felt I had to point out a couple of
flaws with the program.
Bill Gallik
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- "If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane."
- Jimmy Buffett