Nobody is going to get upset Ray at all, and thanks again for your research
skills.
David Ferrin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Boyce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <jaws-users-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 8:08 PM
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Re: question about reading attributes

Hi Sharon
Here is a learning module on Formatting a Document
It explains quite a lot..
Please everyone do not get upset about this post as I am only trying to
help.
This learning module is entitled, "Formatting a Document." This lesson
demonstrates several formatting options available in the HJPad program, as
well as
techniques of locating and identifying text with specific format attributes.

Currently, the only two programs that I've got running are JAWS for Windows
and HJPad. My application focus is in the HJPad application. Let's open a
document
to work with.

Ctrl+O
c:\jaws451\training\enu\format.txt

Good, we're in the document with the insertion point at the upper left-hand
corner of a document that I have opened called, "Format.txt." The Format.txt
document is a letter that we wrote to our lead trainer, Dan Clark. The
primary focus of this lesson is going to be on formatting a document.

The whole idea behind having a prepared document like this one for you to
work in is to show you how easy it is for you to go back after you've gotten
all
of your ideas typed up, and then carry out your formatting to make your
document look more professional or academic, whatever applies to your
situation.
As we format this document, I'll be showing you some techniques to verify
that a particular formatting action has been carried out. And finally, we'll
be taking a look at several options that JAWS has built into it that will
allow us to proof our document for content, format attributes, or both. I'm
going
to press the say all command and have JAWS read a little bit of the document
that we've got up on the screen, and then I'm going to press the CTRL key
to silence speech. I'll press INSERT+DOWN ARROW now

Rover Red. One hundred eleven any street. My town comma, my state, zero,
zero, zero, zero, zero dash zero, zero, zero, zero. Freedom Scientific BLV
Group
comma LLC  period. Eleven thousand eight hundred thirty-one S-T Court end
period. S-t period. Petersburg comma, F-L. Thirty-three thousand seven
hundred
sixteen. Dear Mr period Clark colon. It is not often that I get a chance to
write such a letter. In any event, I'd like to take this moment to thank you
for your kind, gentle, and professional manner while training our class on
JAWS.

So as we hear, we've just got a bunch of text up on the screen. Nothing's
been formatted and everything is aligned along the left margin of this
document.
I'm going to go ahead and return my insertion point to the top of this
document, CTRL+HOME.

Top of file. blank

So we hear "blank", and we're on a blank line at the top of the document.

However, I'd like for the date to appear at the top of my document.

Insert time and date can be found within the Insert pull down menu, which is
under Insert on the menu bar. So I'm going to press ALT+I to activate the
Insert
pull down menu.

Alt I. Menu active. Insert. Date and time dot dot dot

And this is the only item in the Insert menu. I'll press ENTER to open the
date and time dialogue.

Enter. Leaving menus. Date and time dialogue. Available formats colon list
box. Three slash five slash ninety-nine. One of thirteen.

Now this Insert format list box contains eleven different ways to let
somebody know what day it is, and two different ways to let them know what
time it
is, should we choose to. We can navigate this list view in the usual way,
either by arrowing through it or first-letter navigation. So if I wanted to
let
the recipient of my letter know that I wrote on a Friday, as opposed to
3/5/99, I could simply press the letter F and my focus will move to the
first item
in this list beginning with the letter F. I'll go ahead and do this now.

F. Friday comma, March zero-five comma, nineteen ninety-nine.

And we've got a few other options in this list beginning with Friday, but
I'm
just going to select this one. I'll press ENTER.

Enter. Edit.

We hear that my application focus moves back to the main document edit
field, and I'm going to do a say current line where I'm at right now.

Friday comma, March zero-five comma, nineteen ninety-nine.

We hear that this has been inserted into our document on that blank line
that we generated. Now let's say that I also want to let my recipient know
what
time this letter was written. I'm going to go ahead and activate the Insert
pull down menu.

ALT+I. Menu bar. Menu active. Insert date and time dot dot dot.

I'll press ENTER to open the date and time dialogue.

Enter. Leaving menus. Date and time dialogue. Available formats colon list
box. Three slash five slash ninety-nine. One of thirteen.

And I know that I'm in the ten o'clock hour here, so I'm going to press the
number 1 to jump to the first item beginning with ten, or the number 1
rather.

One nineteen ninety-nine dash zero-three dash zero-five.

I'll press it again.

One ten fifty-eight colon zero a-m.

And I'm going to go ahead and select this and press ENTER on it.

Enter. Edit.

Now if I do a read current line,

Friday comma, March zero-five comma, one hundred ninety-nine thousand nine
hundred ten colon fifty-eight a-m.

We hear that our date and time are both running together. So, it's a little
bit of a mess. I remember that the insertion point is going to be to the
right
of whatever we just entered into our document, in this case, obviously the
time and date, so I'm going to press the LEFT ARROW until I get to the
beginning
of my time, and then press ENTER to place it on the line of its own.

M-A space eight zero colon eight five colon zero one.

There it is, I'll press ENTER.

Enter.

And I'll do a say current line.

Ten fifty-eight colon zero a-m.

** Grant's recording ended here --  where is the rest? **

Okay, we hear that this has ended up on a line all its own. I'll do a UP
ARROW to do move to and read the previous line.

Friday comma, March zero five comma, nineteen ninety-nine.

And there's the line with our date. I'm reasonably sure that my insertion
point is at the beginning of this line, but I'm just going to press the HOME
key
to make sure of this.

Home.

I'm going to select all the text in my header, that is, the date, the time,
my name and address, and carry out some formatting actions to that selected
text. If I wanted to select a single line of text, usually I would make sure
my insertion point was at the beginning of that line, and press SHIFT+END
as we did in the Using the Clipboard section. But in this case, I want to
select multiple lines. So, I'll hold down the SHIFT key while pressing the
DOWN
ARROW a few times. I'll go ahead and do this now.

Select Friday comma, March zero five comma, nineteen ninety-nine.

We've selected the first line of text and I've still got the SHIFT key held
down. I'll press DOWN ARROW again to select the next line.

Select ten fifty-eight colon zero a-m.

I'll do it again.

Select Rover Red.

And I'm going to continue to hold down the SHIFT key and press DOWN ARROW
until I get to the end of the text that I'd like to select.

Select one hundred eleven any street. Select my town comma, my state zero,
zero, zero, zero, zero dash zero, zero, zero, zero. Select Freedom
Scientific.

Okay, so I went a little bit too far, this is not a problem because I can
simply keep that SHIFT key held down and press the UP ARROW key to unselect
this
text.

Unselect. Freedom Scientific period.

And JAWS says, "Unselect," and reads the line that we just unselected. I'm
going to unselect one more line. JAWS didn't read it that time because it's
just
a blank line, so there wasn't any text to select there. Now I can actually
verify the text that I've got selected by using the say selected text
command,
SHIFT+INSERT+ DOWN ARROW. I'll go ahead and do this.

Selected text is Friday comma, March zero five comma, nineteen ninety-nine,
ten fifty-eight colon zero a-m. Rover Red. One hundred eleven any street. My
town comma, my state zero, zero, zero, zero, zero dash zero, zero, zero,
zero.

Okay, so we hear that this is the only text that's currently selected in our
document, and it appears in a highlight block. And pressing any of the
navigational
keys at this point will unselect our text and bring back our insertion
point. If I wanted to double check and make sure that this text was still
selected,
I could use the read format attribute command that JAWS has built into it,
INSERT+F. I'll go ahead and press this now.

Font equals Courier New ten-point highlighted.

So we hear the type of font, the point size, and the fact that this text is
highlighted or selected. The first thing that I would like to do to my
selected
text is center it. And as with the insert time and date feature, I could
activate the format menu with an access key, ALT+O, but this first time, I'm
just
going to activate the menu bar by pressing the ALT key.

Menu bar. File.

And then ARROW to the right until I hear format.

Edit. View. Insert. Format.

And I'll DOWN ARROW to activate the Format menu.

Menu active. Font dot dot dot.

We hear font, I'm going to DOWN ARROW again,

Paragraph dot dot dot.

JAWS speaks, "Paragraph dot dot dot." And I do want to effect the paragraph
that's currently selected, so I'm going to press ENTER.

Enter. Leaving menus. Paragraph dialogue. Indentation left colon edit. Zero
quote.

I'm going to press TAB until I get to the alignment combo box.

Tab. Indentation right colon edit. Zero quote. Tab. Indentation first line
colon edit. Zero quote. Tab. Alignment colon combo box left.

And we hear that the selected item by default in our combo box is to align
our text to the left. I'm going to DOWN ARROW through this combo box to
centered.

Right. Center.

And press Enter.

Enter. Edit.

And our selected text is now centered. Let's say that I also want to bold
this selected text. This time I'm going to press the access key combination,
ALT+
O to activate the Format pull down menu.

Alt O. Menu active. Format. Font dot dot dot.

Font dot dot dot is currently selected and this is where I want to go to
find the bold option, so I'll press ENTER and open this dialogue.

Enter. Leaving menus. Font dialogue. Edit combo. Courier New. Courier New.
Regular ten.

So JAWS reads that we're in an edit combo box and this combo box contains
the various fonts that we can select from. JAWS also spoke the fonts' style,
which
is regular, as opposed to bold or italicized, and we also heard the font
point size, which we'll also be changing in this entire document. I'm just
going
to go ahead and tab over to the font style control.

Tab. Font style colon edit combo. Regular.

So again we're in a combo box and I'm just going to DOWN ARROW to bold.

Font style colon edit combo. Italic. Font style colon edit combo bold bold.

I'll press ENTER on this option.

Enter. Edit.

And our selected text is now both centered and bolded.

I'm going to bring up the list of managers with INSERT+F2.

JAWS. Run JAWS Manager Dialogue. List box. Configuration Manager. One of
ten.

Configuration manager is the first item in this list. I'll press ENTER to
activate that.

Enter. Format dot t-x-t dash HJPad. Edit. JCF dash JAWS Configuration
Manager.

And because our application focus was in the HJPad application at the time
we pressed INSERT+F2 to bring up our list of managers, JAWS makes the
assumption
that we want to modify the configuration file associated with that program.
So we're in a configuration called HJPad.jcf and the first thing that I'd
like
to modify in my HJPad configuration is found under Format Options from
within the Set Options menu. I'm going to go ahead and press ALT+S to
activate the
Set Options menu.

ALT+S. Menu active. Set Options. User options dot dot dot.

And this time I'm just going to press the DOWN ARROW until I hear format
options.

Text processing dot dot dot. Format options dot dot dot.

There it is. I'll press ENTER.

Enter. Leaving menus. Format Options Dialogue. Speak text formatting
enabled. Check box not checked.

By default, this check box is not checked. We've only got a couple of other
items in this dialogue when this item is not checked. As soon as I check
this
check box, we're going to have a lot more options in this dialogue. I'm
going to go ahead and check this check box now by pressing the SPACEBAR.

Speak text formatting enabled. Check box checked.

And I'm going to press TAB to move to the next control.

Tab. Speak text formatting attributes. Check box checked.

JAWS says, "Speak text formatting attributes, check box checked." Since this
box is checked by default, and I do want to hear formatting attributes such
as italicized, underlined, and bold, spoken as I'm reading my document, I'll
leave this checked and press the TAB key to move to the next control.

Tab. Speak text formatting font. Check box not checked.

JAWS says, "Speak text formatting font," and by default, this check box is
not checked. Checking this check box lets JAWS know that you would like to
get
some sort of indication when a font has changed when you're reading a
document. I'm going to go ahead and check this check box by pressing
SPACEBAR now.

Speak text formatting font. Check box checked.

And I'm going to press the TAB key to move to the next control.

Tab. Speak text formatting point size. Check box not checked.

Speak text formatting point size. And by default, this check box is not
checked. Let's check this one also.  I'll press SPACEBAR now again. Next,
I'm
going
to press TAB to move to the next control.

Tab. Speak text formatting foreground color. Check box not checked.

I'm going to press the TAB key to move to the next control and leave this
unchecked.

Tab. Speak text formatting background color. Check box not checked.

Same goes for background color, I'll press TAB to move to the next control.

Checking foreground and background color can be useful if you are working
with text that has to be formatted in certain colors.  However, we won't be
using
that option in this lesson.

Tab. Speak text formatting repeated characters. Check box not checked.

Repeated characters, check box not checked. Checking this item tells JAWS
that we want to hear the actual number of repeated characters when they're
encountered.
For example, if we had 40 stars on a line, by default, JAWS is going to read
only three of those repeated characters. In other words, you'll hear, "star,
star, star." Checking this option will tell JAWS that you'd like to hear the
actual number, so 40 stars. Let's go ahead and check this checkbox as well
by pressing the SPACEBAR. Now, I'm going to press the TAB key to move to the
next control.

Tab. Speak text formatting capitalization. Check box not checked.

I'm going to check, this checkbox as well, to test for capital letters that
appear in my document.  Then, I'll press TAB to move to the next control.

Tab. Okay button.

And I'm going to press ENTER to activate the okay button.

Enter. JCF dash JAWS Configuration Manager.

I'm going to save my changes to the HJPad configuration by pressing CTRL+S
as in save.

CTRL+S.

And now I'll press ALT+TAB to move back to the HJPad application.

I'm back in the HJPad application with my format document up on the screen.
My insertion point is at the top of this document. I'm going to press
control+home
to make sure that I'm at the top of the document. Next, I'll press the
sayline keystroke, insert+up arrow.

Go ahead and do a read current line.

jaws says: . etc.

So one thing you heard was a different kind of voice, known as the message
voice, announcing several items.  You can change the parameters of this
voice
or pick a different person altogether from within the voices menu of your
JAWS Main Application window.  It is called the "Tutor and Message Voice".

So we heard JAWS speak the attribute, "bold" and the font, "Courier New."
And that's because we specified that we wanted to hear format attributes
such
as bold, underlined, italicized, font style, and so on. And we also wanted
to hear whenever there was a change in the type of font contained within a
document.
So as we're pressing the DOWN ARROW to move through our document, you'll see
that the message voice is going to speak only according to the criteria that
you set in the format dialogue of the HJPad configuration file.

So we know that we can do a say current line and have the information we've
checked for in the Format Options dialog box spoken to us, however, as we
navigate
by words, characters, or our arrow keys, unless that information changes,
we're
not going to hear the message voice for every line. In other words, if
we are on a word that changes from normal to bold, we will hear JAWS speak
"bold, followed by the word.  If the next word is also bold, we won't hear
the
message voice say bold again, because it is the same as the previous word.
However, when the attributes change, you'll hear them just before you hear
the word that has those different attributes spoken.  I'm going to press
DOWN ARROW one time.

Rover Red.

And I'm going to keep pressing the DOWN ARROW until there is a change in the
type of font or type of attribute that this text is written in.

One hundred eleven any street. My town. Blank. Blank. Normal. Freedom
Scientific

So JAWS detected that there was a change in the font style, we went from
bold to normal style text, so we were notified of that, as we were moving
through
our document.  You also heard that when JAWS says "CAP" and the word, then
you know that word has the first letter capitalized.  When you hear JAWS say
"ALL CAPS" and then the word, you know that the word is entirely
capitalized.

My insertion point is on the first line of the main body of this letter.

OK, let's now move down into the document until you land on the line that
starts with "It is not often ."

Move to the word "that" in this sentence using your navigation techniques
learned earlier.  An easy way is to press HOME first while you are on this
line,
to make sure you are at the beginning of the line, and on the word "it".
Press INSERT+RIGHT ARROW on your num pad to move to the word "that".  Your
cursor
will be at the beginning of the word.  Now, press the windows keys to select
this word, CONTROL+SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW and continue to hold down the
CONTROL+SHIFT
keys and press RIGHT ARROW again to select the words "I get a chance".  Now
you should have the words "that I get a chance" selected.  Let's use a
hotkey
combination instead of going to the menus to make these words underlined.
That keystroke is CONTROL+U.  I'll press this keystroke now.

Now, using next word navigation, INSERT+RIGHT ARROW, which will unselect the
currently highlighted text by the way, move to the next word that says "I'd"
and stop there.  You should be at the beginning of the word "I'd", just
before the text continues with "like to take".  Use your Windows word
selection
keys to select these words, remembering to hold down the CONTROL+SHIFT keys
while pressing RIGHT ARROW.  You should select the text phrase "I'd like to
take".

To repeat how to read your selected text again, press SHIFT+INSERT+DOWN
ARROW to verify this.  The selected text should be spoken.  Now, let's make
this
text italicized.  The hot key for this action is CONTROL+I.  I'll go ahead
and press this key combination now.

Finally, let's move to the word "moment" and before the word "to" and insert
some extra spaces to show how that works. Then move to the word "thank" and
put in two extra letter "n's".

Press up arrow to go backwards one line at a time, listening to each line,
to the first line that begins with "It is not often" and listen to the
reading
of the attributes.

ALT+TAB back to HJPad.JCF, Set Options, Format Options, UNCHECK THE FORMAT
OPTIONS CHECKBOX, CHECK DEFAULT BUTTON IS "OK" AND PRESS ENTER TO CLOSE.
CONTROL+S TO SAVE
DEMO NOW NOT READING FORMAT AND ATTRIBUTES SPEAK. (Only do a few lines, you
don't have to do the whole letter.)

USE VERBOSITY LIST TO CHANGE THIS ON THE FLY. Again, when demonstrating,
only do a few lines to let them hear that it is on again or off again.

POINT IS, you can set this for any program individually by using JAWS
Configuration Manager.  Once you set the items you want to check in the Set
menu, Format Options dialog and turn them off, you can always pull them up
to proofread a document check on-the-fly with the JAWS Verbosity List,
INSERT+V.

That's the end of the section on format options. Please join me again in the
next lesson.