Hi all,

Hopefully, I can explain this well enough for you to advise me.

I bought a second sound card, when I got my computer a year ago.  I disabled
the on board sound and have been running the one I bought.  My computer
doesn't have a serial port, so I had to put away my dec talk external and am
running JAWS through he computer speakers along with all the sounds, music,
movies ... anything that needs to be heard.  it has all worked fine, except
for some minor sound adjustment issues from time to time.

However, about a month ago I was ripping some audio books from CD to MP3,
using CDex, when suddenly, as soon as CDex would start ripping, JAWS slowed
way down and became extremely shaky and stuttery.  Also, the general
computer sounds, such as new mail notification, were very shaky and
slooooooow as well.  I tried using WMP for ripping instead and that seemed
to work for a while.  However, this week, I purchased some new CD's and
proceeded to play and then rip them to the PC, using WMP.  Even just playing
the CD's made the sound, including JAWS, begin to slow down and stutter a
little.  Then I decided just to rip the CD's, again using WMP, and the same
problem I had with CDex began to happen again.  I could not use JAWS during
the time I was doing the ripping.

Ok, I know that's a long explanation, but as I've never played around with
my sound, except to set up new sounds for computer functions, I have no idea
how to trouble shoot this problem.  Would it make sense to run JAWS through
the other sound card, and if so, how do I set that up and make sure JAWS
uses one sound card and all other sound uses the other?  Could there be some
other problem?  Should I just enable the original sound card for everything
and disable the one I bought specifically?  I still have a number ob audio
books to rip to the computer, and I put all my CD's on the computer and play
all my music that way.

I'm running JAWS 8 standard, not with the newest patch, windows XP home, I
have a 3.--something gig processor, 200 gig hard drive and an external hard
drive where I store most of my music and other files.

Thanks for any advice or tips.

sherry
processor