Hello everyone,

I posted earlier about JAWS being sluggish in responding for typing echo and
when using keyboard navigation.

Well, when I was looking on Freedom Scientific's website at JAWS Technical
Notices and fixes (for nothing in particular, I saw the link on the JAWS-Users
tips and tricks page and thought I'd take a look) I came across something about
JAWS being sluggish with keyboard echo and navigation in Windows Vista.  So I
went to that page to see what FS had to say on the topic and they said that
some computers with the Sigma Tel Audio Codec exhibited said problems, and that
the way to fix it was to download an updated driver.

Well I don't have the Sigma Tel Audio Codec, that I know of; I have a Realtec
High Definition audio card, so I thought "What the heck," and went to the
Realtec website and downloaded the updated driver.  Installing the updated
driver required sighted assistance (or a Braille display/external synthesizer,
if you have one), as the installer was going to uninstall the old driver before
installing the update.  When my computer restarted, JAWS for some reason wanted
to re-activate the authorization; I let it and when it was done I realized that
the problem was fixed!

I just wanted to post this information so that anyone else on the list who is
having this problem has something to go on for fixing it.  My advice would be
to go onto the website of your sound card manufacturer and try and get an
updated driver just as I did.  To the webmasters of the JAWS-Users list, I'd
strongly recommend putting a link to FS's notice on your website as this seems
to be a problem a lot of people are having.

Hope this helps,

Michael Hansen
Visit the JAWS Users List home page at:
http://www.jaws-users.com