From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2007 11:16 AM
Subject: [JAWS-Users] JAWS Sluggishness Problem - Fixed!

Hello everyone,

I posted earlier about JAWS being sluggish in responding for typing echo and
when using keyboard navigation.

Well, when I was looking on Freedom Scientific's website at JAWS Technical
Notices and fixes (for nothing in particular, I saw the link on the
JAWS-Users tips and tricks page and thought I'd take a look) I came across
something about JAWS being sluggish with keyboard echo and navigation in
Windows Vista.  So I went to that page to see what FS had to say on the
topic and they said that some computers with the Sigma Tel Audio Codec
exhibited said problems, and that the way to fix it was to download an
updated driver.

Well I don't have the Sigma Tel Audio Codec, that I know of; I have a
Realtec High Definition audio card, so I thought "What the heck," and went
to the Realtec website and downloaded the updated driver.  Installing the
updated driver required sighted assistance (or a Braille display/external
synthesizer, if you have one), as the installer was going to uninstall the
old driver before installing the update.  When my computer restarted, JAWS
for some reason wanted to re-activate the authorization; I let it and when
it was done I realized that the problem was fixed!

I just wanted to post this information so that anyone else on the list who
is having this problem has something to go on for fixing it.  My advice
would be to go onto the website of your sound card manufacturer and try and
get an updated driver just as I did.  To the webmasters of the JAWS-Users
list, I'd strongly recommend putting a link to FS's notice on your website
as this seems to be a problem a lot of people are having.

Hope this helps,

Michael Hansen
Visit the JAWS Users List home page at:
http://www.jaws-users.com