Hi Adrian,
It is often a challenge for professional localizers too, as almost the only
company who translated keyboard shortcuts in Spanish is Microsoft, and
currently they're not taking care of this aspect as before, since many Spanish
help topics display English mnemonics while actual UIs have translated ones,
which is obviously a mess.

Regarding JAWS, to tell you only one very relevant case, remember when in JAWS
12.0 Freedom Scientific replaced Configuration Manager with Settings Center.
You'll remember that it was (and is) possible to press a keystroke to quickly
jump to the Search Box of this JAWS utility.
The problem, however, is that while CTRL+E is known and consistent in English
for search boxes, not only was unfamiliar for Spanish users, but also this
original English keystroke of a script inserted in Default.jss had a conflict
with the SelectAll script, which in Spanish is assigned to CTRL+E. This is not
because most Spanish versions of web browsers, Adobe or other major companies
products have translated keyboard shortcut of Select All command from CTRL+A to
CTRL+E, but because Windows Explorer and many built-in apps such as Notepad
have so.
As a result of the conflicts, until JAWS 17 or 18 in which FS fixed this,
Spanish users could not normally use the keystroke to select all without
PassKeyThrough or using Keyboard Manager to either delete assignment of
SelectAll, or changing ActivateSearchBox script from CTRL+E to CTRL+B, which is
the keystroke to focus Windows Explorer's search box in Spanish Windows
versions.

Many translators think that Microsoft should start to use English keyboard
shortcuts even on localized products as other companies an even Microsoft in
most languages do, in the same way they're doing with completely new products;
however, Office programs use the same shortcuts since more than 20 years ago,
which makes this idea too hard to implement. They tried to revert keystroke for
the Outlook search box to CTRL+E as in English in a relatively recent update,
but soon they went back to CTRL+B: users wasn't notified of the change, but
also they introduced an additional issue because not changing also CTRL+E to
CTRL+A to select all it was not possible to quickly use the Select All command,
as in Spanish CTRL+A is assigned to Open.

Nice weekend and sorry for this long speech!