From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf
Of Panagiotis Antonopoulos
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2017 10:20 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] difficulty in working with footnotes in word 2007

Greetings to all,

I face a lot of dicciulty recently, when I work on a document, (writing it or
reading it in Braille) when I want to insert a footnote. Using Windows 10
creator, Jaws 18, Word 2007 and an Active Braille display. In the past I was
able to create a footnote by using contrl-alt-f. The note would appear and I
could type my text viewing it. When I was done, by arroing once to the right, I
was able to go back to my document, see the note's number and continue typing
my document. When reading notes, I always used to hit a cursor routing button
just above the number, and a sort of preview would and still appears, which
permitted me to read most of the notes, but if these were too long, I could use
alt-v, f and land on that note which I could read in its entirety. By toggling
the same command, I was back on my reading document. This is no longer
feasible. I have jaws set to read the entire note, which it does orally, but I
really want to follow it in Braille, since these include a lot of bibli
 ographical data in various languages, (I have installed six vocaliser voices),
and Mr. jaws does not always get the language right. I mentioned this problem
of mine to another list I participate, and a fellow member sent a reply, which
unfortunately, did not work, and which I will paste at the end of this message.

Now, I must say that when I type alt-contrl-f to get to a footnote, jaws is
crushing which means I can only type blindly, as no Braille appears either, and
I have to restore it with the known shortcut alt-f-j. It lands on jaws menus
and by escape I am back on desktop and I need to alt-tab to get to the note. At
that time I can see the note's text with highlighting, but arrowing to the
right will not automatically do something, unless I do a contr-home for the
beginning of document, and a contrl-end to get back to where I was, in which
case it may eventually work. I am pasting the kind reply I got which proved
vain, so, if anyone has had a similar problem or knows for a better solution, I
would be most grateful to hear from you.

                                                K             indest
Regards,

                                                Takis

Hi Takis,

I've got Word 2016 and Windows 7 so I don't know if the following will help at
all, but it gives you some things you can try!

The way footnotes appear depend on which view I use. In Print view I can press
Alt + Ctrl + F to start a footnote. From within the footnote, I can press the
applications key or Shift + F10 and choose Go To Footnote to return to the
document text. The footnote pane appears at the bottom of each page, and JAWS
indicates this when I read with DownArrow or Say All, although in neither case
does it actually read the footnotes unless I navigate by word while focus is in
the footnote pane.

In Draft view I press Alt + Ctrl + F to start a footnote, as before, but then I
use F6 to return to the document text. Once there is at least one footnote, I
can press Shift + F6 to move to the footnote pane at any time, and F6 to return
to the document.

JAWS should announce which view is in effect. I can press Alt + Ctrl + P to
force print view, and Alt + Ctrl + N to force Draft view, which used to be
called Normal view.

Does that get you any further?

Steve