The reason for the spell-check not working as it used to is that,
rather than spell-check appearing as a dialog box on top of the
regular Word window, it now appears in a pane on the right-hand side
of the screen, just like for some other Word features.

The reason that Word now says "we" is to make the language (a) more
readable for people with lower IQs and those who are less
technologically literate, and (b) to make Word seem more "friendly", a
trend that has taken hold with technology recently. I personally like
it as it makes Word seem tailored more for individual users.