From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Roger Newell
Sent: February 28, 2018 12:12 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Office 2010 vs. 2016 vs. 365

The reason for the spell-check not working as it used to is that, rather
than spell-check appearing as a dialog box on top of the regular Word
window, it now appears in a pane on the right-hand side of the screen, just
like for some other Word features.

The reason that Word now says "we" is to make the language (a) more readable
for people with lower IQs and those who are less technologically literate,
and (b) to make Word seem more "friendly", a trend that has taken hold with
technology recently. I personally like it as it makes Word seem tailored
more for individual users.

On 2/28/18, Adrian Spratt <adr...@adrianspratt.com> wrote:
> Hi, Rebecca. I've been using Office 2016 for only two weeks. So far, I
> find no advantages over 2010. I have been meaning to try out certain
features.
> For example, I believe 2016 handles PDF files, but I haven't looked
> into it so far. After all, PDF files have become increasingly
> accessible, especially with JAWS 2018. Otherwise, 2016 doesn't act as
smoothly for me as 2010 did.

> for example, often when I press the down arrow key, all I hear is the
> first letter of that next line rather than the whole line. All I need
> do is go back up and back down again, but it's an extra step and a
distraction.

> In spell-check, "word in context" is no longer available. It's easy
> enough to escape out of spell-check and do a "say line" command, but I
> do miss that option.
>
> In Outlook 2016, you need to press control-y to go to the folders list.
> Shift-tab no longer works. Of course, this is just a question of
> forming a new habit, and you may already use control-y as your default.
>
> Outlook 2016 takes a long time to open. I do have a lot of folders and
> messages, but it seems to take much longer than it did in 2010.
>
> There's a  trick to setting up Word 2016 so that you can open files
> from your chosen directory. I would gladly check my notes to explain
> if the time came.
>
> One last curiosity. When I do a search-and-replace in Word 2016, I'm told:
> "All done. We made X replacements." Who is "we"? Microsoft? Of course,
> it isn't literally MS looking over my shoulder, just a way they've
> chosen to confirm an operation, but it's a little creepy.
>
> So far the only reason I can see for upgrading to 2016 is to keep up
> with technological changes. I had hoped it would overcome certain
> unrelated problems I've been having, such as with Windows updates, but
> those problems turn out to be exactly what I said: unrelated. Well, if
> you do a lot of work on documents with other people, it looks like 2016
has some useful features.

be a choice and not a necessity.