Hi this is not Don, but I'm the original sender.  Thanks for your input
Richard and these are the reasons I wanted to turn off auto updates, John:

1) I don't use pdf docs on this computer all that often and whenever I did
want to an automatic update stopped everything, caused me to lose focus,
would not close and get out of the way, and made me close down the program
and start all over again.  (And, annoyingly, it seemed like they were coming
out with a new update for version 8 about every month.)

2) When Adobe 8.1 came out, it's install shield uninstalled the previous 8.0
version, but was unable to install the newer version because my hard drive
was in a non-standard location at that time.  I had to end up re-installing
version 7.09 to avoid this and just to read the doc I wanted to read when
the update troll took over control of my system.

3) I'm currently using 7.10 (I guess it's the final version of 7) and it
works well, does not hassle me or cause the computer to freeze or lose focus
when I use it, and allows me to control the auto-update thing.

So, if version 9 does not allow turning off of auto updates, no thanks! ;-)

Cher