You are absolutely correct on both counts. I did not know about alt shift b and the border issue. Thanks much for your solution as well as Flora's alternative suggestion. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Griffiths, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] marking text with symbols in MS word 2003

Leonard,

It sounds like an AutoFormat option is turned on. From the Tools menu,
choose AutoCorrect. Press Control + Tab to move to the AutoFormat as you
Type page. DownArrow to Border Lines and I think it will be checked.
Uncheck it and your problem will go away.

With the Border Lines checkbox checked, Word will substitute borders
beneath the preceding paragraph when you type certain sequences of
characters in a paragraph of their own and then press Enter. Three or
more asterisks are changed to a dotted bottom border; to check this,
after typing three asterisks and then pressing Enter, press UpArrow to
get back to the paragraph and press Alt + Shift + B to get JAWS to
describe the borders.

Steve