Can the disk image be backed up directly to an external hard drive instead of DVD? This would be easier than fumbling around with multiple DVD's. And it could get real messy with CD's.

Gerald
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Lee" <brianl...@charter.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Performing Complete System Backup and Restore

Hello Gerald,

There is a free backup and restore program available from runtime.org. The link and some other information is shown below. You will need a bootable CD or you can create one with the Bart PE program and have the Drive Image XML plug-in added to Bart PE. The program allows you to break the image into smaller parts for later burning to a DVD, but I am not sure if the DVDS are made bootable. I have used the program and it did a good job creating an image without leaving Windows, and it is easy to extract individual files from the backup as well. I am switching to Image for Windows because it is more straightforward in making backup DVDS. However, Drive Image XML is free and might be what you are wanting. There are links for documentation on the site as well.

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Information from web site:

The program allows you to:

.Backup logical drives and partitions to image files
.Browse these images, view and extract files
.Restore these images to the same or a different drive
.Copy directly from drive to drive
.Schedule automatic backups with your Task Scheduler
Image creation uses Microsoft's Volume Shadow Services (VSS), allowing you to create safe "hot images" even from drives currently in use.

Images are stored in XML files, allowing you to process them with 3rd party tools. Never again be stuck with a useless backup!

Restore images to drives without having to reboot.

DriveImage XML is now faster than ever, offering two different compression levels.

DriveImage XML runs under Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista only. The program will backup, image and restore drives formatted with FAT 12, 16, 32 and NTFS.

Two versions of DriveImage XML are available:

Private Edition: Private home users are allowed to use the Private Edition of DriveImage XML without charge. You are allowed to install DriveImage XML on your home PC. You must not use DriveImage XML commercially. No support is provided for the Private Edition.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimi...@verizon.net>