To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2009 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] DATA BACKUP AND RESTORE

Brian,

The problem I have with Drive Image XML
(and apparently all other such disk imaging utilities), is that the restore procedure is hopelessly complicated. If you use this program to back up your system to an external hard drive, like I wish to do, you have to create a boot CD in order to restore it, which seems to be a difficult procedure for a non-techie. I am not aware of any tutorials that provide step-by -step instructions on how to create and use a boot CD with JAWS. In fact, there seem to be no tutorials at all on performing a system recovery using JAWS. From what I have researched, performing a complete system recovery in the event of a catastrophic crash requires a good deal of tech-savvy sighted help. How can a blind person use a boot CD without crucial visual feedback? I have listened to the tutorials for Disk Image for Windows, but they do not demonstrate the creation and use of a boot CD, nor explain how to back up to an external hard drive and perform a system recovery. The lack of such a tutorial suggests to me that even the exalted geeks on this list may be clueless on how to do this. So, to be perfectly blunt, it appears that there is really no simple way for an average blind computer user to back up his entire system. Everyone likes to talk about how important it is to back up your system, but nobody likes to talk about how difficult it is to restore it. Am I missing something here?

Gerald
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Lee" <brianl...@charter.net>