Thank you Brian for your suggestions. I will keep this in my tips file. I managed to get jaws 10 on my computer by downloading it from FS site. Not sure why this method worked and installing using the cd did not. That is for others more clever than I to figure out.
Thanks again,
Cathie

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Lee" <brianl...@charter.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] installing jaws 10 difficulties

Hello Cathie,

I hope you have already resolved the installation issue, but if not here are
some things you might try.

First, bring up the configuration utility by going to the run dialog box.
Press Windows key with R to get to the run prompt.  At the prompt type in
msconfig (m s c o n f i g) and press enter key.  When the configuration
utility opens use CTRL+tab until you get to the startup page of the dialog. Focus should be in a list of processes that start when the Windows operating
system loads.  If not then use tab key until you are in the list.  Use up
and down arrow keys in the list and remove the checkmark from any entries
having to do with Epson.  You might make note of the entries in case you
want to enable them again later.  Use the spacebar to remove the checkmark
on any entry having to do with Epson if it is checked.  Use tab key to the
apply button and press spacebar.  You can then use tab key to the close
button and press spacebar. When asked if you want to restart answer "yes."
Your computer will restart without the Epson related processes loading.
When Windows loads you might get a dialog box letting you know that changes
were made to the configuration utility.  use tab key to the checkbox that
says something like "don't show this again" and use spacebar to check the
box.  use tab key to the OK button and press spacebar.

Try installing JAWS again with those processes disabled. After installation
remember to enable to processes that you need to start with Windows in the
configuration utility by checking the boxes from which you removed
checkmarks.

If the above steps still don't work then you might need to check for startup shortcuts in the startup group and delete them. You might also need to stop some services from running automatically. Otherwise, there might also be a
corrupted Windows installer and you might need to the Windows installer
cleanup tool.

I hope you get it worked out.

Take care.

Brian Lee