I have not purchased a Netbook yet. I hear that some stores and manufactures in the US will be offering a free Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade on all XP and Vista computers sold between now and the final release of Windows 7 is available. I know Dell and Best Buy were mentioned. It sounds like the DVD will be mailed out automatically from the manufacturer when released. Not sure how they can afford this with the small profit margins on Netbooks. If you are buying before October 22, it can't hurt to ask!

Don Marang

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hallsworth" <christopher...@googlemail.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Questions regarding netbook computer,and windows operating systems

Hi, for the moment, you are on your own to install and use Windows 7 RC. RC stands for release candidate and is a prerelease version of the product. On my machine I found it to be generally stable but is definitely rough in some areas which will be fixed in time for the full release. This won't be the case on all machines. However you are most likely going to be fine with Windows 7 RC if you're using a Vista machine or a recent XP machine, including netbooks. If you wish to use Windows 7 RC, buy a netbook with XP. Partition the hard drive then you can create a dual boot configuration, with XP and 7 RC. That way if something went wrong with 7 you can roll back to XP and safely delete your partition without affecting the entire system. I'd also suggest creating a virtual environment so you can test 7 without even affecting the physical environment. The problem is I'm not sure how well virtualization products run on Netbooks. I expect though that with 2GB of RAM it should run fine. 1GB might be too much unless you assign the virtual machine's memory to no more than half the size. Finally, you could just wait till Windows 7 is out then you should start seeing netbooks with Windows 7 preloaded. Hope this all helps.

--
Chris Hallsworth
e-mail: christopher...@googlemail.com