Dear Alan,

Under the windows update settings via the control panel, there are, I
think, four options.

You apparently know how to get to that, as you've disabled automatic
updates, but change that option to the one that says something like:
"notify me about updates but don't download automatically."

Then, I suppose when you've restarted your pc, you'll probably have a
pop up window, telling you there are new updates.

Press jaws key with function key  11 to get in the system tray, don't
route jaws to pc, it's not necessary and probably won't work right then,
but  just arrow to new updates, where you enter.

Use your up and down arrows to find out what the updates are and ensure
that everything apart from internet explorer 8 is checked.

Uncheck the latter with the space bar.

Then tab to ok or download.

You'll get a prompt on whether you want to hide the updates you haven't
checked, to cancel or to be asked later.

You probably want to hide them and/or  not to be asked again.

 download and after the download, if you're not specifically prompted,
go to the system tray again and under new updates, enter on install.

Now you'll be prompted, probably about once a month, that there are new
updates, which you then install in the same way via the system tray and
just make sure that internet explorer 8, if it ever comes up again,
[which does happen on my pc about every three months] is unchecked, as
indicated and install the rest.

Don't worry further about wrong installations then, it works as
specified.

Regards

Riana