Don,
Thank you for the information. To answer your question yes it does help to reboot. However, rebooting frequently defeats the purpose of buying the full version in my opinion. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Marang" <donald.mar...@gmail.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2010 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] QUICK KEYS

I am not sure your diagnosis is correct. It is easy to blame a feature in which you are not familiar. Quick Keys are very productive and have been copied by most screen readers. At some point you should give them a chance.

In Word, it niormally requires Control + N to open a new document and JAWSKey (CapsLock for a laptop keyboard layout or Insert for a desktop layout) + D to open the Dictionary Manager. Perhaps you have more thabn one key on your keyboard sticking? Does it help to reboot the computer?

JAWS does not like to perform a repair from different updates downloaded from the web. It works fine if you installed from the CD and never updated from the web. But who ever does that? There are ways to force the repair. I can not remember the details. I just uninstall the damaged version and install again. You may need another version of JAWS installed or use another screen reader to do this with speech.

Quick Keys can be turned off for the session in Internet Explorer by pressing JAWSKey )CapsLock for a laptop keyboard, Insert for a desktop layout) + N or in the "Adjust JAWS Verbosity" by pressing JAWSKey + V, hitting the letter n until you hear "Navigation Keys"and hit Space until you hear "off", then Enter.

Navigation Keys can also be turned off temporarily in Word by pressing JAWSKey + Z or through the "Adjust JAWS Verbosity" by pressing JAWSKey + V, hitting the letter E until you hear "Easy Navigation Keys"and hit Space until you hear "off", then Enter.

To turn these off permanantly, open the Configuration Manager by pressing JAWSKey + 6 in the numbers row, then press Control + Shift + D. Press Alt + S to open the "Settings" menu and press K to open the "Keyboard Options" dialog. The first set of radio buttons controls the Quick Keys navigation feature. Arrow down to "off" and hit Enter. Save the settings in Configuration Manager by pressing Control + S, then close with Alt + F4.

Performing

Don Marang