Hello Joanne,

If when you open the PDF in the Adobe Reader you hear "alert: empty
document" announced then the file is likely an image of a printed page that
has been scanned.  I found that a small freeware program called "FreeOCR"
can usually do quite a good job on this kind of file.  If you have Kurzweil,
OpenBook, OmniPage or another commercial OCR program then you should be able
to run OCR on the file and get the desired results.  Here is a link to
FreeOCR if you want to download it.  After the link are some steps to follow
when using the program for a scanned image file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3951772/freeocr.exe

1.    Install FreeOCR by pressing enter key or double-clicking on the
downloaded file.

2.    Follow prompts to install the software.  An icon will be created on
the desktop.

3.    You might want to restart your system when installation is complete,
although the program doesn't tell you that a restart is required.

4.    Press enter key or double-click the "FreeOCR" icon on the desktop to
start the program.

5.    Use Alt+F to bring up the file menu, use down arrow to the "load PDF"
choice and press enter key.

6.    Browse to the PDF file to be used and open it.

7.    Press alt+O to go into the OCR menu and press enter key on the "start
OCR process" choice.

8.    Use tab key to move into the edit area that tells you that focus is in
page 1.

9.    After waiting some time for processing to finish use Alt+T to go into
the text menu, use down arrow to the "copy text to clipboard" choice and
press enter key.

10.  Open up your word processing program and paste the text.

11.  The top few lines will be text from the FreeOCR program so you can
select it and delete it.  The main text of the document should start right
after the text you are going to delete.

12.  An alternative to copying the text to the clipboard is to use the "save
text" choice in the text menu of FreeOCR after processing the image file.  A
dialog box will appear for you to name the file and save it where you want
it.  You can then open the file in Notepad from where it is stored.

I have had success using programs to change the PDF to TIF files and then
using the Microsoft Document Writer to extract the text into a document, but
this program actually gave me better results and worked faster.

If you have the Microsoft Document Image Writer installed you can do the
following:

1.   Open the PDF file in the Adobe Reader and you will hear "alert: empty
document."

2.  Press CTRL+P to go into the print dialog box.

3.  Use tab key to the list of printers and then use up or down arrow keys
to find the "Microsoft Document Image Writer" choice and press enter key.

4.  A SaveAs box will appear with .TIF shown in the file types list.  Name
the file and save it as a TIF file.

5.  Open all programs from the start menu, open the Microsoft office group,
open the Office tools, and use down arrow to the choice for Microsoft office
Document Imaging.  Press enter on that choice.

6.  Press alt+T to go into the tools menu and press enter key on the
"recognize text using OCR" choice.

7.  A dialog box will appear where you can tell the program to recognize all
pages.  Use tab key to the OK button and press enter key.

8.  Wait for processing to finish.

9.  Press Alt+T again and use down arrow to the "send text to Word" choice
and press enter key.

10.Use tab a couple of times and find out what the default location for the
document will be and then tab to OK and press enter key.

11.Wait for the file to open in Microsoft Word.

Although using the Microsoft Document Image Writer has worked for me, I have
had better output using the FreeOCR program.  It is also easier to use and
you only need to use the one program.

Take care.

Brian Lee

brianl...@charter.net