Below is a link from AV-Comparatives that rates antivirus programs. MSSE
rates very highly.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report26.pdf

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:50 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] microsoft essential

Mo,

I'm afraid you're letting your bias against Microsoft software influence
your judgement on av programs.

As one who has encountered several instances of Avast 5, it is almost
impossible to uninstall without either going into Safe Mode, or if you are
lucky enough to click on the uninstall button within the twenty seconds they

allow if you do it from add/remove programs.  I think you could also use
appremover to uninstall it, but it otherwise isn't easy.

Considering that the Microsoft Security Essentials program has very good
reviews from different sources including Windows Secrets, that it utilizes
very low resources, that it doesn't have any accessibility issues, and that
it can be easily temporarily disabled or permanently uninstalled, I have
used it and recommend it for my clients.

I don't see any reason to use another company's anti-virus product when it
still isn't completely accessible.