Brian,
I am starting to lean more towards this being a Jaws problem rather than a Microsoft problem. I seem to lose focus quite a bit when in Microsoft Word now. So, along with it jumping pages and wanting to only read one character of a word when left arrowing I am thinking I may need to do a Jaws repair or just go ahead and figure out how to authorize my Jaws 11 demo. When I open up Microsoft Word I am automatically in the print layout view and the zoom is set at 100 percent. Sometimes when opening up the MS word document Jaws is sluggish to respond to the command and start reading . however, today I opened up the MSW document and had no problems. I do not notice these problems as often using the Jaws 11 demo. I purchased 11 along with SMA's 12 and 13 over the telephone, so now just have to figure out how to activate it. Thank you very much for all your help on this matter. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Lee" <brianl...@charter.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Microsoft Word 2007 and Jaws 10 Problem

Hello Josh,

If you are working in print layout view in word 2007, you should still be
able to use down arrow key when on the last line of a page to move to the
arrow key should also be moving focus to the next page. If the cursor is at
the top of a page, the up arrow key should be moving the cursor to the
bottom of the previous page.  If the cursor is in the first character
position on a page then the left arrow key should move the cursor to the
last character position on the previous page. This behavior has not changed
and should be working if you are using print layout view in Word 2007.

If you are using the page layout mode in Word 2007, the right and left arrow
keys and the up and down arrow keys should be switching pages.  You can
click on the screen and use arrow keys for their normal functions, but
unless you do that you should be moving a page at a time with right arrow
and down arrow keys moving toward the bottom of the document, and focus
should move back toward the top of the document a page at a time when using
up or left arrow keys.  JAWS should speak the page numbers as you use the
arrow keys in this layout. In Word 2007, if you use the full screen choice
for viewing, the system starts using the page layout mode.  JAWS does not
work well in this view, but if you have some sight to use when reading the
screen then you might like that mode as you can just use arrow keys to move
between screens or pages of information.  When working in the page layout
mode there is no status bar showing at the bottom of the screen, and there
is no ribbon at the top of the screen.  You can still read the one line of
status type information at the top of the window by moving to the status bar
using function key 6.  Using right and left arrow keys on the status line
will move between choices.  One of the choices is "view options."  The
default setting for this mode is to show a page at a time.  In the default
mode, you can use arrow keys to move a page at a time. The very top line of the window will contain a "view options" button that when clicked will give a menu of choices. You can choose to view two pages at a time, increase or
decrease text size, show the printed page, and make other choices.  If you
choose to use two pages at a time, JAWS will jump two pages at a time when
using the arrow keys.  The top line of the screen will also show pages 1-2
of so many, 2-3 of so many, etc. Again, this view is a full screen reading
view and enables focus to be moved one or two pages at a time by simply
using arrow keys, but it is not the best view to work in if you are
depending on JAWS for getting information and you are unable to use your
sight for reading the screen. The Alt+delete key combination will still let
you know the page that is active.  You can press escape key to leave the
screen layout mode. There is not a Word hotkey for page layout mode but you
can easily add one if you want to use that view.

The print preview option is different than the print layout view.  One
difference is that the zoom level goes to 50 percent in print preview.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net