This was always a concern of mine and I never got over it when I was working.

I was slow using the number row and much preferred the numpad but as you mentioned I was always forgetting to turn it off again and messing up my document and having to correct in mistake. In the end I struggled using the nubmber row. In my case though I was not using figures much but this certainly would be a pain for someone inputting a lot of figures.

Regards

Graham