From: jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Ann Marie
Medlar
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 3:50 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Transact SQL

Hi Nancy,
I programmed on mainframe for about 20 years.  I also data mined and loaded
key information into Oracle databases using native SQL.  It has been many
years but I believe I wrote SQL code in TS O and submitted it to execute.  I

remember that Oracle was the database and highly unfriendly so I used SQL to

query information.  The front end of this decision support system was
written by consultants and I could navigate and create reports on PC with
Jaws and Windows 98 but I needed to mine the data to load info so top
management could make more informed decisions.  Unsure what exactly Transact

SQL is but do you know where your databases reside, mainframe, server.  Does

the mainframe talk to the server or is the mainframe being used as a big
server?  My company totally migrated to PeopleSoft; I don't think they use
the mainframe anymore.  I loved coding in Cobol, CICS, Adabas, Natural, DB2,

jCL and the like.  I don't know any PC languages but I know that it would
make life more efficient if I learn to code to organize all my personal
information.  I learn a little and then I don't use it so I lose it.
Learning SQL would enhance your career because SQL can be used on any
database and on any platform.  I still remember how to code in Cobol and JCL

but I did not have many years using SQL.
Best of luck.
Ann