Hi Keith

It is worth bearing in mind that when Jaws 12 was released it might have
worked with a version earlier than the one you have i.e. 10,0,0,000. They
can in no way know that Yahoo will do an incremental update to Messenger
which will then not work because Jaws wrote in for Yahoo M 10.0.

This is the same for all software no matter who makes it and remember there
are thousands of software titles out there. Jaws can only support the most
popular ones but you really cannot expect them to be Fortune Tellers to be
able to predict that Company X is going to update product Y and they have to
remember to build in accessibility!

Similar things have happened lately, which is why there have been 3 if not 4
incremental updates to Jaws 12 for Microsoft Office 2010 and Apple iTunes,
because both companies did incremental updates which then affected how Jaws
12 worked with them.

Because these were 2 high profile, high common usage programs Jaws did quite
well in releasing updates they did not have to address if they did not want
to, until the next major release.

Please please remember the above before complaining that programs won't work
because that an incremental update has taken place, which as far as a screen
reader is concerned can knock out of jaws radar and will not work properly.
It is also commonly known that some software publishers has no idea of
accessibility whatsoever where as if their programmers knew what was out
there, and aware of guidelines in place to make software more accessible
this wouldn't be a problem, because when it comes to Windows one of the
worst offenders are Microsoft themselves! You only need to look at Windows
Mobile 7 to note they have built in no accessibility! Also if you take MS
Office for the Mac they have not built accessibility into that either.

The above applies to all operating systems and I really do not want to go
off topic, but from the above you can apply the thinking to all software
titles and apps for computers and mobile phones and until you get this
concept you will never understand how difficult it is for people to program
in accessibility.

Sorry folks if this is a bit long drawn out but I felt this point, so often
over-looked by people, needed to be pointed out.

Larry & Flax GD (Guide Dog)
& Elliot RTG (Retired Guide Dog)
London, UK