try alt+control+o (= overtype)? (Alt+ctrl+i was originally known as 'overwrite' mode.)

Someone was asking what it does. Normally, you are in insert mode, where text follows along consecutively as you write. When you're in Overtype Mode, you're filling in an existing space or template, *writing over* existing characters, where the amount of text does not change.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Washington" <gregw...@comcast.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] How to turn on and off type over mode in word 2007

Dear Ann, Flor and Alex,
Thanks for your suggestions. However I still cannot get alt+control+i to toggle over type on and off. I went into the tools menu in MS word 2007, went to options and went to advanced. The over type option was not checked but neither was control over type with the insert key. So I checked the use insert key option for controlling on and off over type and left typeover unchecked. However when I press the alt+control+i key jaws still says insert mode active. When I press it again it says the same thing "insert mode active".

I then tried checking the allow over type key in the options menu but then Jaws said typeover active when I pressed the alt+control+i key and I could not go back to insert mode. It seems like for me the alt+control+i key is either one or the other. I cannot get it to work as a toggle switch.

Greg