How about under speech and sound schemes, choosing one that announces style changes???

Thanks for the tips and replies. Are you telling me we no longer then have the ability to just arrow down a document and know whether it is a header or not? I hope not. I'm starting to find very helpful features being dropped off the more updated we get here. In Word 2003 one could create a heading text by:

1. Highlight the text
2. Press Alt Shift Right or left Arrow to scroll through the heading text levels
3.  Then go about your business

Each time then you arrowed across that header text Jaws would say "Header level 1". Jaws 13 says it ought be reading this If you go to the Quick Settings it says:

"This option controls how JAWS announces headings in Word documents.
Select between Off, On, and Heading and Level. If you want all styles to be indicated instead of just headings, choose the Style Changes option rather than Headings Announce from the QuickSettings dialog.
The default setting is Heading and Level."

One shouldn't have to enter into quick key mode to find out where you are in a nest of headers. One can always find the headers with Insert F6 as well but I'm talking about reading a document and as you scroll or read, you are able to tell what heading level you are in and if it is nested within another . For example:

(Header 1) Honey  Do List

(Header 2) House

* Mow grass
* Fix door
* Clean garage

(Header 1) My To Do List

(header 2) Calls to make

(header 3) Cold calls
* ABC Company
*DEF Company

(header 3) Follow ups
*XYZ Company
*STP Company

(header 2) Personal calls
*Call parents for anniversary

A cheezy example but it is helpful to know what level is what when just arrowing down a document. Especially if it is one you haven't created and never saw before.

Brad

On 11/26/2011  01:11 PM Ann Byrne said...
If you're wanting to read header style in a document, you could turn on the quick keys in Word with insert-z, then press h to move from header to header.

If you want to read the header above the page or footer below it, press insert+f1 for the page summary and the header/footer will be included.

Hi
     If you are using the heading that one accesses through the alt V
followed by the h command, the only way I know of to read this heading is to
use the JAWS cursor. The actual heading in this case is located above the
text edit window.
     I hope this helps.

God bless,
Mark