Hi all,

After my recent conversion to Windows 7, I found myself underwhelmed with Outlook 2010 and decided to make the switch to Thunderbird. Since every blind person and their brother seemed to be using it, I thought I'd find it fairly seamless when it comes to accessibility. So far that has not been the case. I can make use of it reasonably well, in fact I'm composing this message in it as we speak, but I find the program a lot less intuitive and a little more sluggish with Jaws than previous incarnations of Outlook were. Replying to messages is a trial, since Jaws won't always read me the message I'm typing and will focus on details like "variable width" instead. If I press enter to open a message, there's a good 10-second lag before I can actually start reading it. This program is eliminated if I view the message using f6 instead of enter, but that really isn't my preference. The list goes on.

Is this just a case of me needing to adjust my expectations, suck it up and adapt to an unfamiliar program with less convenient hot keys, or is there some Jaws-related magic bullet I'm overlooking? Is there a script that one should download for optimal results? A setting or two I should tweak? Any and all advice welcome.

Best,
Michelle

P.S. If there is a way to redefine the function of certain hot keys, I'd be beyond happy if someone could enlighten me. :)