Thanks for the idea, Flor, but your type of solution is not the perfect one for me. I entered these symbols in the SBL file used by JAWS if the Hungarian speech synthetizer is working. So JAWS should know it. It knows them well, when the file containing these characters is opened in Notepad, but they are silent when the same file is opened in WordPad or Word. I don't want to add them to a dictionary file, too. I have registered them in the appropriate SBL file by their unicode codepoint so JAWS have to know them. Or am I wrong?

2013.05.29. 13:02 keltezéssel, Flor Lynch írta:
if you mean the speaking of a symbol that doesn't speak, you input it (I
would type its ANSI value) by adding it into the desired JAWS Dictionary
File, and then tab to the Replace With and type in your desired word,
and OK by saving your change.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Csaba Godo"
<arpadhazi68.jaw...@gmail.com>
To: "JAWS Users List" <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:10 AM
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Why are some symbols silent in RTF files?

Hi all,
I have noticed something interesting in the near past working on my
new Hungarian SBL file. Some symbols recorded in this file are silent
when I enter them in an RTF-based text editor as Word or WordPad. For
example the signs of £ (english pound) and ¥ (japan yen). Why? What
can I do to make them loud? I use JAWS 11 on Windows Vista.

I tried the both versions of entries like "levelable" (symbol N
method) and the "ever-reading" one ("U+0000=" method).

Regards,

Csaba
--
Tshaba