are you using win 8? I could find no backup capability. It is an HP computer. I know that the os is stored somewhere in a non dos partition. I do not remember the file backup or recovery that is used.

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Justice
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:05 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] backup on windows 8

Hi Lenny,
Years ago, when you purchased a computer, it would come with multiple disks
which contained the operating system disk,
drivers and installed software.
Later, manufacturers chose to image the operating system drive once the
computer was all set up,
and ship the image disks (recovery media) with the computer.
Today, unless it is a custom built system, the consumer is responsible for
creating their
own recovery media by using a utility already installed on the system.
This utility is supplied by the manufacturer, and is not a part of Windows.
Creating media with this utility is simply an image of the operating system
drive as it came from the manufacturer
and will not backup any personal files.
The image is created from a recovery partition on the hard drive.
One of the first things a person should do when they purchase a new computer
is create this media.
This is the process that Trish referred to me helping her with.
Once I have created my recovery media, I prefer to create a basic image of
my system
that includes Jaws and a few programs that I use on a regular basis, as well
as any configurations I have made to Windows.
I use Image for Windows for this, and install other software as needed.
I don't create an image of the operating system drive with absolutely every
piece of software simply because I prefer to keep the image
to the minimal amount of disks to make the recovery process easier,
and usually by the time I need to use these disks, I don't re-install all of
the software I was using anyway.
Keep in mind, this is just my personal preference, and larger images can be
created to include all of the software you want.
Also, if you have a data partition as I do, you could create an image of it
as well, but if the data on
that partition changes on a daily basis, it would be pointless.
I use Karen's Replicator on a regular basis to keep my personal data backed
up to external drives.
Bottom line, back it up, and then backup the backup.
HTH,
Rick Justice
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lenny McHugh" <lmch...@verizon.net>